June 30, 2014: Barracuda Networks, Inc., a leading provider of cloud-connected security and storage solutions, announces that their Next-Generation Firewalls (NGFWs) will be equipped with new capabilities to support Microsoft products in the areas of Windows Remote Desktop Services, virtualization and public Cloud.
Thiban Darmalingam, the Regional Manager for Barracuda in Malaysia says, “It is actually pretty scary that less than 20 per cent of Internet connections today are secured by NG Firewalls – according to the recent Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Network Firewalls report.”
“In fact by the end of 2014, this number will increase to 35 per cent of the installed base, with 70 per cent of new enterprise edge purchases being NGFWs. Also, Gartner also reported that through 2018, more than 75 percent of enterprises will continue to seek network security from a different vendor than their network infrastructure.”
He says this is why it is important for firewalls to keep up with trends affecting technology in areas such as on-premises, desktop, as virtualized and cloud computing platforms and dedicated server hardware to mobile.
Description: Barracuda NGF900a
The Barracuda NG Firewall is designed to protect edge deployments, especially in environments with limited IT resources. As companies move into public cloud environments like Microsoft Azure, hybrid architecture like Barracuda’s becomes increasingly important.
“With the new updates, Barracuda NG Firewall will help customers swiftly and safely transition to newer topologies proposed in the Microsoft ecosystem. The latest release expands our integration with Microsoft Hyper-V virtualization and Microsoft Azure public cloud infrastructure enabling our customers to further capitalize on their Microsoft investments,” he further adds.
The latest version of the Barracuda NGFW which was recently unveiled at the GARTNER Security & Risk Management Summit in National Harbor, MD in the USA will feature capabilities such as:
- Full user awareness for Windows Remote Desktop Services. Barracuda NGFW is user aware even when multiple users on a Remote Desktop Server are behind a single IP address.
- The latest version of Barracuda NGFW adds another integration that makes use of a small, lightweight transparent client that simplifies integration and does not rely on external authentication protocols.
- Support for Hyper-V virtualization. Barracuda NGFW Vx virtual appliances can be deployed on Microsoft Hyper-V servers, in addition to VMware.
- Application-based dynamic uplink selection. In addition to using application awareness capabilities to block or allow traffic, the Barracuda NGFW application-based dynamic uplink selection provides traffic prioritization, improved Quality of Service (QoS) and faster performance for accessing services on the Internet.
- New application usage and risk reports. New reports that help administrators enforce Internet usage policies and offers recommendations for redefining policies based on risk.
- Higher performance antivirus scanning. Re-architected to provide higher performance, the Barracuda NG Firewall utilizes a single-pass, antivirus scanning architecture that inspects both unencrypted and SSL-encrypted traffic.
The Barracuda NG Firewall Vx is a virtual appliance that runs on both VMware and Hyper-V environments while the license for Barracuda NG Firewall in Microsoft Azure can be purchased on an annual basis. For more information, visit http://cuda.co/ngfw-azure.