Malaysia demonstrated its prominence in the global gaming industry at the Tokyo Game Show 2023, with 16 Malaysian studios featured at the Malaysia Pavilion. Supported by the Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) and MATRADE, these studios showcased their expertise in game development and visual effects, solidifying Malaysia’s position as a regional hub for digital content creation.
28 September 2023 – The Tokyo Game Show (TGS) 2023 recently concluded with a remarkable turnout of over 780 exhibitors and 240,000 visitors. Malaysia continued to assert itself as a leading force in game development within Southeast Asia, further solidifying its presence on the global gaming stage. The Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC), in collaboration with the Malaysia External Trade Development Corporation (MATRADE), played a pivotal role by facilitating meetings between trading partners and global players in the digital games industry, all eager to engage with Malaysian-based game developers at the Malaysia Pavilion.
Operational from September 21 to 24, the Malaysia Pavilion showcased 16 outstanding Malaysian studios, each a leader in its respective field, encompassing game development and visual effects (VFX). These companies contributed to various stages of video game production, from pre-production to game publishing. The 16 featured companies at TGS2023 included:
- Acxyn: A game creator portal assisting developers in navigating challenges and adopting Web3 value economics.
- Ammobox Studios: A technology-focused, agile AA/Indie Game Development studio.
- Glow Production: A cinematic development company specializing in visual storytelling.
- Hide & Seeds Production: An award-winning CG studio creating TV commercials and animations.
- Illusionist Animation Studio: Producers of animated content, including films, series, game cinematics, and original IP.
- IXI Creatives: Providers of digital content creation and related services.
- Kaigan Games: One of Southeast Asia’s leading indie game developers.
- Magnus Games Studio: A game development company founded by two brothers.
- Quurk: Pioneers in game-based learning, promoting coding as a universal language.
- Syncraft: An art studio delivering top-notch illustration and design services.
- Ten Ten Studio: A dedicated art service provider specializing in design and illustration for the video game industry.
- Weyrdworks: A game development studio known for eccentric, experimental interactive experiences.
- The Illusion Picture: Specializing in high-end character animation, VFX, digital media, VR, AR, and cinematic production.
- Dreamfact: A game art outsourcing studio led by veteran artists with extensive AAA art production experience.
- Metal Brain Studio: A 3D production studio focused on Games Animation.
- Fly Studio: An Animation & VFX production studio offering a range of services, including VFX, Animation, In-Game Assets, and Game Cinematic production.
During the ‘BitSummit Let’s Go!!’ event in July 2023, Magnus Games Studio announced its partnership with Shueisha Games as the publisher for an upcoming game titled ‘Project Survival.’
MDEC, with its steadfast support for the local game development sector, believes that showcasing the nation’s experienced talent, deep expertise, and creative prowess will further establish Malaysia as the regional hub for video game production, animation, and digital content creation.
Mahadhir Aziz, Chief Executive Officer of MDEC, expressed confidence in Malaysia’s potential for growth in the digital content production sector. He noted that Malaysia is well-prepared to welcome more investments in this dynamic market segment, given the talent and innovation on display at TGS2023.
In addition to the showcase, MDEC facilitated numerous business meetings throughout TGS2023, connecting prospective investors and global players with Malaysian developers, leading to potential collaborations that could shape the future of the industry.