Wed, July 24, 2013: Seagate Technology, a world leader in storage solutions, today unveiled two new enterprise-class hard disk drives (HDD) optimized for emerging cloud infrastructures and large scale data centers— the Seagate Terascale HDD and the Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7. Ideal for system builders, the Terascale HDD and Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7 provide high-capacity storage in low-power configurations making them perfect for efficiently and affordably storing the ever-growing amount of unstructured data typically stored in the cloud.
Seagate Terascale HDD
“Over the next eight years, the capacity shipped into the cloud will double and by 2020 personal and enterprise clouds will account for greater than 60 percent of the total storage capacity shipped. With this huge shift of capacity to the cloud, storage providers will need to deploy more storage quickly all while increasing capacity and lowering energy costs,” said Scott Horn, Seagate vice president of marketing. “Engineered with this mind, these new drives deliver on all fronts providing high capacity-to-power ratios and ensuring consistent performance at an affordable cost— making them an ideal solution for the cloud.”
Seagate Terascale HDD— High-Capacity Meets Big Power Savings
Delivering the highest capacity HDD (4TB) available in a 3.5-inch enterprise-class SATA HDD, the Terascale HDD provides data centers with the maximum storage scalability they need to meet demands in low workload, 24×7 replicated environments. An affordable enterprise platform for storing exabytes of unstructured data in the cloud, the drive is Seagate’s lowest USD/GB enterprise HDD for use in scalable multi-drive systems.
Seagate Terascale HDD
The Terascale HDD lowers costs by operating at one of the lowest enterprise HDD power consumption available— as low as 4.8Watts— reducing ongoing energy and cooling costs for multi-drive large scale operations. As a result, the drive lowers total cost of ownership while providing unparalleled enterprise-class reliability.
Equipped with Seagate’s own Instant Secure Erase (ISE) technology, the Terascale HDD saves money and time by reducing drive erasure times from hours to milliseconds providing quick, safe and easy drive disposal or repurposing. It also features a low-cost 6Gb/s SATA interface for easy integration with lower cost SATA infrastructures.
“As a trusted Seagate Cloud Builder Alliance partner, we have worked closely with the company to consistently develop innovative enterprise storage solutions with high value— and this new Terascale HDD continues in this tradition,” said Wally Liaw, vice president of sales, international, Supermicro. “With this new drive, we are able to deploy innovative, cost-effective storage that scales and has low-power, reducing our total cost of ownership. In fact, our SSG-6047R-E1R72L supports up to 72 of these Seagate Terascale drives delivering unprecedented drive density and capacity.”
Key features of the Seagate Terascale HDD include:
- High-Capacity— highest capacity HDD (4TB) available in a 3.5-inch enterprise-class SATA HDD enabling scalable, high-capacity storage in 24×7 environments.
- Ultra-low Power Consumption— among the lowest operating power in the industry for 3.5-inch enterprise HDD, delivering reduced energy and cooling costs.
- Value— Lowest USD/GB for affordable storage for 24×7 multi-drive replicated environments.
- High Vibration Tolerance— improves drive performance for consistent, best-in-class enterprise system reliability.
- Interface Optimization— 6Gb/s SATA interface for easy system integration and optimized burst performance.
- Easy Drive Disposal or Repurposing— ISE feature at no additional cost.
For more information on the Seagate Terascale HDD please visit www.seagate.com/www/terascale.
Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7— High-Capacity Meets High Performance
Rounding out its enterprise portfolio, Seagate also today announced the next-gen version of its Enterprise Performance 10K HDD— the Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7. A 2.5-inch 10K-RPM enterprise hard disk drive, the new Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7 delivers high-capacity in a mission critical drive enabling storage professionals to build optimum data storage solutions with consistently high performance and reliability in a low power envelope.
The Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7 is equipped with 1.2TB of data storage providing data centers with both the performance needed for the most write-intensive applications and the scalability to meet storage growth and business objectives. Ideal for mission critical server and storage solutions, the drive is engineered for high performance computing and high random and sequential workloads including database transaction processing and high workload servers that process mission critical data in power and space constrained data centers.
Extremely energy-efficient, the Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7 delivers one of the highest GB/Watt power optimization and cooling costs in a 2.5-inch enterprise 10K HDD available. The drive also incorporates Seagate’s PowerChoice technology which enables IT organizations to tailor systems for enhanced power consumption during idle periods. It is equipped with a 6Gb/s SAS interface for dependable ultra-fast storage.
Key features of the Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7 include:
- High-Capacity— twice the capacity of legacy 3.5-inch, 15K-RPM hard drives at the same performance (204MB/s SDR) within a lower power envelope.
- Unified Architecture— reduces complexity and costs by converging disparate interfaces, form factors and security standards.
- Small Footprint— 2.5-inch form factor enables data centers to keep pace with data growth and optimize data center real estate.
- RAID Recovery— Seagate RAID Rebuild technology makes RAID recovery faster and safer.
- Instant Secure Erase Technology— makes it safe, fast, and easy to retire or repurpose drives at no additional cost.
For more information on the Seagate Enterprise Performance 10K HDD v7 please visit www.seagate.com/www/enterprise10k.