UK: The global digital measurement and analytics comScore has released the 2013 Europe Digital Future in Focus report which provides a comprehensive overview of the European market and identifies the prevailing trends in web usage, online video, mobile and search.
Some of the highlights from the report are as follow:
- 408.3 million people in Europe used the desktop-based internet in December 2012, a 7 percent increase over the past year. Turkey has the youngest European internet audience with nearly 70 percent under the age of 35.
- Russia widens the gap to Germany as Europe’s country with the largest online audience (61.3 million), while Italy’s internet audience grew the fastest over the past year (up 17 percent).
- 57 percent of EU5 (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and UK) mobile users owned a smartphone in the 3 month average ending December 2012. Spain’s mobile audience showed the highest adoption of smartphones with 66 percent.
- In the EU5 region, Samsung leads the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) market with a 32 percent share, whilst Google is the operating system of choice for 50 percent of EU5 smartphone users. Apple was the smartphone manufacturer with the 2nd largest user base and also ranked as the 2nd most popular smartphone operating system (OS).
- EU5 online video audience grew 5 percent over the past year, whilst the number of mobile video viewers jumped by 162 percent since December 2011. Leading online video platforms across Europe are YouTube (Google), Dailymotion, Facebook and VEVO.
- Yandex Web Search captured a 10 percent share of the European search market in December 2012.
- 1 in 3 display ad impressions were never seen, according to comScore’s European validated Campaign Essentials(vCE) charter study conducted between March and August 2012.
- Time spent on news/information sites increased by 10 percent amongst European internet users. The most visited news/information resource was Yahoo!-ABC News Network (34.6 million), followed by the BBC (27.4 million). HPMG News, which includes sites such as Huffington Post and TechCrunch, ranked as the 3rd largest news/information site and saw the strongest audience growth amongst the top 10 over the past year (up 60 percent).
- 19.2 million EU5 smartphone users purchased a product or service via their device in the 3 month average ending December 2012 (14.1 percent of EU5 smartphone owners).
For details, please visit http://www.comscore.com/FutureinFocus2013 to download a complimentary copy of the 2013 Europe Digital Future in Focus report.