Jun 5, 2014 (Thu): Apple is introducing its latest iOS 8 which delivers a simpler, faster and more intuitive user experience, including:
- iCloud Photo Library – allowing you to enjoy your photos and videos more easily across your devices;
- new Messages features – to easily share voice, video or photos with just a swipe;
- new Health app – gives you a clear overview of your health and fitness data all in one place;
- predictive typing for Apple’s QuickType keyboard;
- Family Sharing – sharing purchases, photos and calendars within the same household; and
- iCloud Drive – storing files and access them from anywhere.
Apple just released its iOS 8 beta software and SDK for iOS Developer Program members at developer.apple.com. iOS 8 will be available this fall as a free software update for iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPod touch 5th generation, iPad 2, iPad with Retina display, iPad Air, iPad mini and iPad mini with Retina display.
At the time, Apple also announced OS X Yosemite, a powerful new version of OS X redesigned and refined with a fresh, modern look, powerful new apps and amazing new continuity features that make working across your Mac and iOS devices more fluid than ever.
OS X Yosemite offers:
- The new Today view in Notification Center – gives you a quick look at everything you need to know, all in one place;
- iCloud Drive;
- Safari – a new streamlined design that puts the most important controls at your fingertips;
- Mail – makes editing and sending attachments easier than ever;
- Handoff – lets you start an activity on one device and pass it to the other;
- Instant Hotspot makes using your iPhone’s hotspot as easy as connecting to a Wi-Fi network; and
- Ability to make iPhone calls on your Mac.